Friday, April 29, 2011

나의 생각 (My Thoughts)

After reviewing my first-hand knowledge of art education in Korea, I appreciate the rigorous standards for all education there, especially for art education. As a person who was a general education student, an art student, and art educator for decades, I would like to propose that the following to be incorporated into Korea’s education system:

- Less emphasis on representational style and more encouragement to develop individual styles in students;

- Less competitive and more collaborative class environments;

- Adaptation of “glocalism” (balance between local and international cultural balance and respect), i.e., greater representation of Korean artists in textbooks, which would balance the Western artists who dominated when I was a student.

Currently, I am teaching art at a regional university in a small town in Oklahoma. I think my background of receiving Korean education is reflected on my teaching practice. I am continually work on finding a balance between the rigor and individual creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment